Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Misperception - Words used in A Course in Miracles


You may be surprised to hear how very different is reality from what you see.      T-18.I.5:1
    A Course in Miracles uses three terms to describe how we think we understand Truth: misperception, accurate perception and knowledge. Only knowledge is is congruent with Truth, which is outside the access of dreaming minds.                          
    Misperception keeps us stuck within the dream because we see a reason for attack where there is none. Accurate perception brings our vision into alignment with Truth, which allows awakening to be the next step.
… perception must be straightened out before you can know anything. To know is to be certain. ... certainty is strength. Perception is temporary. As an attribute of the belief in space and time, it is subject to either fear or love. Misperceptions produce fear and true perceptions foster love, but neither brings certainty because all perception varies. That is why it is not knowledge. True perception is the basis for knowledge, but knowing is the affirmation of truth and beyond all perceptions.                       T-3.III.1:2-10.

I [Jesus] cannot unite your will with God's for you, but I can erase all misperceptions from your mind if you will bring it under my guidance. Only your misperceptions stand in your way. Without them your choice is certain.Sane perception induces sane choosing. I cannot choose for you, but I can help you make your own right choice.    T-3.IV.77-11.
[From Workbook for Students lesson #72:] “Holding grievances is an attack on God's plan for salvation.”Holding grievances is an attempt to prove that God's plan for salvation will not work. Yet only His plan will work. By holding grievances, I am therefore excluding my only hope of salvation from my awareness. ...I am choosing between misperception and salvation as I look on this.If I see grounds for grievances in this, I will not see the grounds for my salvation.This calls for salvation, not attack.
It cannot be emphasized too often that correcting perception is merely a temporary expedient. It is necessary only because misperception is a block to knowledge, while accurate perception is a steppingstone towards it. The whole value of right perception lies in the inevitable realization that all perception is unnecessary.    T-4.II.11:1-3.            [You may ask how this is possible as long as you appear to be living in this world. That is a reasonable question. You must be careful, however, that you really understand it. Who is the "you" who are living in this world?      T-4.II.11:5-8.]

No comments:

Post a Comment